We are hiring a Gallery Coordinator!
To apply for this position please email a current CV or resume and a statement of interest outlining your relevant experience and how you aim to contribute the collective to firstname.lastname@example.org Subject line: Gallery Coordinator.
Please feel welcome to include examples of expertise relevant to your position of interest.
Applications are due July 31, 2021.
Working with the fifty fifty arts collective is an excellent opportunity to become immersed in Victoria's contemporary creative arts community and to develop the collective's vision for impacting cultural exchange between artists, audiences, and organizations within the city. The collective offers experience in the field of art and events coordination; social media profile building; operations and maintenance of a small not for profit gallery space; networking and liaising between artists and organizations; and the potential to increase the regional, provincial, and national visibility of a collective-run arts organization.
The Gallery Coordinator will be offered a quarterly honorarium for their work. However, the fifty fifty is adequately poised to apply for project funding in support of innovative programs and projects and from there, potentially pursue capacity building or operational funding, should gallery reps, collective members, and the board of directors choose to pursue funding opportunities.
Gallery Coordinator Responsibilities:
• Primary liaison between public, artists, and organizations (during busier months, this can mean daily communications)
• Keeping diligent record of expenses, donations, and sales
• Ensuring programming space is stocked with appropriate materials for openings and installations
• Liaising between incoming and outgoing artists
• Organizing programming schedules
• Creating promotional text for media releases and social media
• Liaising between artists and gallery support staff as well as the gallery board of directors
• Exhibition hosting and promotion
• Maintaining effective communications between collective members
• Must have a basic understanding of Gmail and associated applications such as calendar etc.
Thank you for your interest. We will only be responding to persons with the relevant skillset as properly outlined in their resume and cover letter. Preference is given to artists already working in the scene.
Submissions for the 2021/22 programming year will be accepted until April 23, 2021, at 11:59 pm.
Exhibition submissions are closed. Please check back for our next call for submissions.
Applications may include individual and group exhibitions and curatorial projects relevant to the field of contemporary art practice. To apply, you must submit a portfolio consisting of the following:
Submissions must include:
- Images/Supporting material: Up to 10 images or supporting materials that directly relate to your proposed project.
- Image list: A brief description of images/supporting materials, including titles, materials, dates and any other relevant information. If supporting material includes video or audio, provide active links in the image list. Video and audio must not exceed 5 minutes in length.
- Proposal: The proposal should clearly and concisely outline your exhibition or project. Consider how you will use the space and why the fifty fifty would be a good fit. Please also include your preferred date - your date preference does not guarantee those dates if selected, but it will help us coordinate a schedule that best accommodates the needs of everyone. Maximum 1 page.
- Artist statement: Provide context for your proposal with relation to your artistic practice. Maximum 1 page.
Submit all of your materials as one pdf file. Please take care to include all of the required documents - an incomplete proposal will not be considered. Email your submission package to email@example.com
Exhibitions generally run for the course of 3.5 weeks. Exhibition hours are available at the bottom of the page and are based on volunteer availability. If you would be available to gallery sit during your exhibition, please include this in your proposal.
The fifty fifty requests 30% percent of all art sales - these funds are used to maintain our programming space. However, given the often experimental nature of some exhibits, we do not require work to be available for sale.
Although the fifty fifty arts collective requires the aforementioned submission package accompanying any proposal of work, we also seek to meet the needs of individuals or collectives who may experience barriers throughout the application process. Please note that we are a volunteer-run collective that attempts to strike a balance of our commitments to the collective and to our individual schedules. We will do our best to accommodate alternative modes of presenting one's application but we do request that you communicate with us regarding your application if it differs from our submission requirements at least two weeks prior to due date. Please feel free to email us here firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the submission process.
Most importantly, the fifty fifty programs work through a collective adjudication process. We accept work based on its ability to fulfill our mandate. We suggest that applicants familiarize themselves with our exhibition archives and with our mandate prior to submission. Our mandate can be found here